Monday, November 21, 2011

We are the 99%

Ten years ago, my husband and I graduated from college.  We both went on to get Master's degrees in our respective fields.  We got decent jobs, and decided to have a family.  Six months into my pregnancy, he was laid off.  We moved to a cheaper area, got new jobs, and had our son.  Money was tight, but we managed.  Then the market collapsed.  The state cut education funds to balance the budget and my husband lost his job.  Apparently football is more important that music.  It has been three years since that layoff.  He has no insurance because we have to choose between health care and a place to live.  I am in default on my student loans because when it comes down to paying the loans or paying for food for our son, food will always win.  We drive two cars on the brink of utter collapse because we have no extra money to fix them or upgrade.  I want a chance for our family to get out of debt.  I want my husband to be able to put his six years of schooling to work.  I don't want to worry about what kind of school system my son will be starting in next year.  I want another baby, but we can't afford the insurance or daycare, and so we wait. We did everything "right" and still got hosed.  We are the 99%.

No comments: